Why not make an evening of it. St Paul’s Church has a number of cafés, bars and restaurants within easy walking distance.
Built 1777–1779 on the Newhall estate of the Colmore family, it was an elegant and desirable location in the mid-nineteenth century. At the end of the nineteenth century the square was swallowed by workshops and factories, with the fronts of some buildings being pulled down to make shop fronts or factory entrances. Much restoration was done in the 1970s and many of the buildings are Grade II listed.
As well as bars, cafés and restaurants, which line the square’s four sides, a number of apartment schemes have been built in the area, including a restoration of the façade of the Thomas Walker building, a former buckle maker, which fronts onto the square. St Paul’s Club is situated in St Paul’s Square. Formed in 1859, it is the Midlands’ oldest private members club. The Royal Birmingham Society of Artists has its offices and gallery in premises just off the square.
St Paul’s Square is served by St Paul’s tram stop.